Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Flourished Joy


 It's a frosty February morning! We are experiencing our coldest temperatures of the season right now and there have been lots of cloudy days and grey skies. It is this time of the year that I need colour more than ever. The flourishes on my desk have been bright and cheerful. A parade of bunnies have been keeping me entertained as I chose them for my opening class of Flights of Fancy.

I have 50 students with me for this journey and the magic they are creating on the page is incredible. It was an unusual step for me to create such an advanced course of study. I have all different skill levels in the class, but each of them are taking it so seriously and spending dedicated time with the homework. As an instructor, I could not be more pleased and excited to see what is happening. My work desk is filled to overflowing at the moment. I have new course notes to prepare, commissions to design and pen orders to complete. It is a busy pace and at times, it can become overwhelming. No matter how busy things become, I find that I have to put time aside to pick up the pen to flourish.

It is a form of mediation for me. My mind can release from all of the pressures or stress that surround me and I can play on paper. The emerging rabbits bring me joy and a sense of calm that is hard to explain.

There are so many ways to nurture the sense of calm that is needed in our stress filled world. Whether you take time to brew a perfect cup of tea, read a chapter of your favourite book, pick up needle and thread to embroider or put ink to paper and write a caring note. Whatever it is that brings you that sense of joy and peace, I hope you can put time aside to pursue it. If your part of the world is in that seemingly endless cycle of grey skies and cold weather, I encourage you to bring a flower or two home to enjoy. There is nothing like their bright and cheerful presence to bring a touch of joy to your day!

Lots of flourishes are coming up in my monthly Flourishing Club for The Ardington School. I will also work on the bunnies, butterflies, and a frosted grisaille technique in Nature Sings for Ardington.

I have started a linktr.ee page that makes it easier to find the open registration links some of my course offerings. You can also contact me for my 2023 teaching schedule if you are interested in studying with me. I hope this February find you with pen in hand, flourishing, creating, playing and finding joy and beauty in each day. Sending hugs all around. 

No comments: