Sunday, January 1, 2023

The Practice of Peace


 As I open a new calendar page for a bright New Year, the word that I have been pondering is Peace. As I close out a year and think about the year in front of me, I do a bit of reflecting. I am not good with resolutions or making lists of what I want to accomplish. I try to be mindful in my daily tasks and set reasonable goals for each day. When I begin to work at my desk, I take time to appreciate the work in front of me. It is a blessing to be able to work with my hands. As I was painting the little blue birds on their glittering vines, I was aware of how peaceful the process is for me. Many students and friends have written to express the same thoughts about working with their hands. One friend, remarked that she was looking at her hands as miracles when she saw what was emerging on the paper. Whether you knit, embroider, sew, write, draw or paint, what we do with our hands can be a source of wonder and peace. This year, there are many tasks in front of me that can seem overwhelming.That may be why I am so reluctant to list them! But every time I pick up the pen or the brush, I am finding peace. I realize that when I teach my classes, I am trying to share that same sense of peace. I think what is more clear to me than ever is that we are striving to bring excellence to our work and improving areas that we want to work on. But as we do this, rather than taking a deep dive into the faults that are there, look for the joy in the process. I have stated many times in my blog posts and in my classes that I am a very slow learner. I have failed so many times and looked at work that appeared to be making no progress at all. But there are moments when I can feel skills strengthening and I can see visible improvements. Everything happens in its own time.  My first class this year is Belles Nouvelles Lettres hosted by the Gentle Penman online. Registration is open if you would like to join the class. 

These drawn and painted letters have a peace of their own. Rooted in Toile de Jouy fabrics, French inspired colours and a dash of Art Nouveau influence, these letters combine simplicity and elegance. They have been a pure joy to explore and I can't with to share some of the discoveries I have made with them.  One of the colours that has been so enticing is Eau de Nil. I have been trying to recreate this glorious colour as it goes so well with lavender, pinks and blues.  Even if you think you can't draw or can't paint, there will be something for you in this class.  If you would like my updated 2023 teaching schedule, please send me an email.  Happy New Year Dear Friends.  Welcome to 2023 and the possibilities it will bring. Keep practicing peace!

No comments: