Thursday, August 1, 2024

The Music of August

 It seems to me that we are always making adjustments to the seasonal rhythms. I am so in tune with the colours of the garden, the blooms of the flowers and the music of the birds. Evenings now have the hum of the cicada and now I hear the crickets as part of the night music. The first sounds of the mornings are the baby blue jays waiting for me to set out the peanuts for them. If I am quiet in the studio and the window is open, I can hear the starlings splashing in the bird bath. The Carolina Wrens and the Baltimore Orioles sing their daily tunes and brighten each day for me. Such welcome music in the garden.  August is always a reminder to appreciate the glow and the warmth of each day. Seasons and Chapters pass quickly and I want to constantly sharpen my awareness and deepen my gratitude. August invites us to notice the details and the changes. We have not had any inklings of cool air, but I notice changes in the leaves already. I know that some of these petals that fall in the garden will not be replaced with new blooms.  This is the first year a Dahlia has bloomed in the garden and the Strawberry and Cream Hydrangeas will slowly start to  transition to pink. I love these special flowers and each passing moment of joy they bring. Notice each day my dear friends.

 July was busy.  I just completed teaching Blooms and Breezes online and launched the final edition of Flights of Fancy to an eager group of students.


Their work so far is nothing short of amazing and I feel incredibly blessed to journey with them. Watching skills unfold, whether it is through coloured pencil or through gilding is like watching a new magical world emerge. My biggest wish is that the students get the most out of the experience of these classes. It is not the attending, the taking of notes or the mode of practice that is the most valuable. It is the unpacking of information after the class and seeing what sparks interest in you. We are so uniquely special and all wired differently. Whatever ignites for you in a class is a major clue on what you should pursue. This means you will shed some things that encumber you in order to embrace what you are most passionate about. What students do after the classes always brings me so much joy to see.  As I put the autumn and winter course notes together, I am aware that my courses are getting more in-depth and advanced. I think that is because so many of my students are repeat course takers and I feel as if I need to offer new territories for them. But I have also been revisiting some classic work and finding ways to improve on the course or adjust to my changing appreciation of a technique. I will be teaching a course called Miniature Merry Makers for the Gentle Penman in October. I had the best time working with a traditional illumination palette.

Using bright jewel tones along with a festive animal had an appealing charm for me.


We will be using a special colour blocking technique to paint the rich foliate settings. I have spent hours looking through my Illumination books and have enjoyed the vibrant colours of traditional illumination. Working in vibrant reds, blues and greens has been such a wonderful exploration for me. I have lots of sketches of animals in foliate settings ready for painting and will enjoy the slow process of painting the miniatures. The cute squirrels in my garden have been willing models for some of my study pages. You can keep your design simple with a little bird or choose a mouse, squirrel, rabbit or anything you want to try. 




September will bring the The Vintage Page for Ardington. This is a very special study opportunity for a  small group of students who want to dig deeper into their practice of Italian Hand along with some Vintage adornments. I have been digging deep into my love of Florentine ornament which  will accompany our Italian Hand beautifully.
As I was working on the course notes, I found two of the first Florentine border designs I ever created. I still love these borders and it is so good to go back and revisit early work to see how my process has changed over the years. These early borders were done in 2011 using Staedler Aqaurelle Watercolour pencil. Even though these designs are in an archival portfolio, all my designs that used the Staedtler Aquarelle have faded. I no longer work with this brand of watercolour pencils but they did have a lovely colour range. 

Whatever occupies your time and your hands this month, I hope you appreciate each passing day. Write a little, play a little, draw a little, paint a little, and be patient with yourself every step of the way.. Give yourself all the time that you need to practice and explore the things you love. I know that life struggles, anxieties and the troublesome things constantly get in our way.  But that makes the joyful delights hidden in each day all the more special. Sending hugs all around dear friends. Hope there are some wonderful joys waiting for. you in August. Embrace the music of the day.

No comments: