Sunday, July 14, 2024

Sweet Ron

Yesterday we said our goodbyes to our sweet cat Ron. He was named after Ron Weasley in Harry Potter as  I was reading the books when we adopted him. He was a rescue kitten and came to us with some special needs. He had asthma all his 14 years of life but we were able to treat it and keep it under control until these past few weeks. We lost Oscar 5 months ago on February 12th and Ron departed on July 13th. The pain is stifling and the grief is so real. 

But as we go through this period of grief and loss, I am still beyond grateful that we had the chance to love this sweet cat. He was so unique and incredibly timid until these past few months. He seemed to thrive as the only cat in the home once Oscar passed away and we adored pampering him. He showed us all his best traits before he left us.
He did daily property inspections. He would check all the grapevines to see if there was a mouse lurking underneath. He was watching and waiting constantly.
He was the definition of a companion. He was so quiet but his eyes were soulful and insightful. As Chris and I went about our daily tasks we could see him watching over us. He didn't interfere with our tasks but wanted to be right beside us. Bath time is especially difficult as I miss his comforting presence. I would  run the bath, lay a towel on the floor for him and he would come and rest on it to supervise bath time. These quiet moments and memories are so incredibly powerful. 
Ron was our dear little ginger and he was profound in his gentle and quiet way. I have not had the heart to pick up the pen or catch up on my work this weekend but I was working on a Scarlet Pimpernel flower in coloured pencils over the past week or so. It seemed as if I wanted to work with oranges and deep tones. This is not my light handed approach to coloured pencil. I tried to intensify the colours on the paper as I working through my emotions knowing that we would not have Ron much longer. Despite the pain, he was worth every tear. Sending extra hugs all around for anyone going through pain right now. If you a beloved cat or pet in the house, today they need an extra hug or treat! Cherish your precious time! Sending hugs all around my dear friends. 

No comments: