Monday, April 1, 2024

A Life in Letters


 What a beautiful April morning. It is so good to watch the robins and blue jays in the yard. Rabbits have been plentiful these past weeks and I always pause to watch them when I see them jumping by. The soft presence of nature through my studio window helps with all the tasks in front of me. I still have the ache of the loss of Oscar but never forget to appreciate the memories he gave us. Although the rabbits, squirrels and birds are not my pets, they still bring such a sense of joy to my day. I try not to take them for granted. March was very busy with teaching and commission work. I can only share a peek but I have loved working on these special pieces.


 I have a busy month ahead as I sort through the list of deadlines. Looking through the schedule, I realize that I have an abundance of drawn letter tasks as well as pure calligraphic writing. I have received some of the most gorgeous letters these past few weeks. The staff at the post office loves to see the mail that comes in for me as well as what I send out. They handle things with extra care. When beautiful letters arrive for me, they will often leave a note for me to see them in the office so they can hand it to me rather than risk bending it to put it into the post box. They recognize how special these letters are and it is always a chance for me to chat about the beauty of calligraphy. The gift of a letter truly touches the recipient and it is a wonderful way to practice your own skills. 

There always seems to be a sense of magic involved when you hand off a piece of mail, knowing you don't have control of the timing or even the course of its path as it goes out into the world.
As I prepare for my upcoming Italian Hand, Spencerian and Fainting Fancies classes, I have been using letter writing as a way to update my course notes. I seem to need something fanciful to write as I practice and rather than keeping my portfolios and file folders overflowing, the work is getting ready to be mailed out. It has been a joy to create this way. Fainting Fancies will be offered in June at Ardington School.

I have taught it once online and several times in person. The strange name was chosen from Harry Potter movies, as the first time I presented this course was for a Harry Potter themed calligraphy guild retreat. The students are encouraged to create fanciful embellished letterforms. The act of adding extra flourishes to your calligraphic work, whether inside the letters or as an extension of a beautiful word is the focus of the Fainting Fancies class. The sky is the limit with these small studies. I find them so freeing to create.

I have used the techniques on recent envelopes as well as monograms to be included in the envelopes. A life in letters does not mean any of your practice sessions need to be dull. I have never been one who could practice pages of lowercase letters or simply use black ink on practice paper. Once I understood the letter structures, I needed a practical output for the letters. Play is the beginning of knowledge and is essential for pointed pen flourishing in my opinion. 

It may energize your practice if you share your work in the form of a card, letter or decorated envelope. Most of us have a surplus of paper and envelopes and we all know someone who would love to receive a letter. I encourage you to enjoy the practice and feel delight of sending out a beautiful letter. Don't worry if your work is not perfect. Perfection is never an option.  Express your creative energy even if you only have a few minutes to write. April will fly by as quickly as March! Have fun with your pens, inks, colours and papers and see what emerges. If you want to hone your decorated letters or your flourishing skills, there is room in Fainting Fancies in June and a very few spots in Flourishing Club for April, May and June. Flourishing Club is always full of surprises and the work being produced by the students is outstanding. They are taking flourishes along pathways that I never dreamed of and it is so inspiring. 

If you want a deep dive into expressive flourishing I will be teaching Sweet Characters For Spring this month at The Gentle Penman. The Spring subjects are Foxes, Bunnies and Bears. 

This is a brand new class and it will be challenging but so much fun. And if you want an incredibly intensive study program, there are a couple of spots available for the 6 month long Master Class at The Gentle Penman. I am working so hard on all these courses to share what I have learned over these 21 years of study. This will likely be my final presentation of the Flights of Fancy Master Class  and I am so excited to share my thoughts with the class of 2024.

  As I finish this blog post, a gorgeous brown rabbit came into view. He seems to be enjoying the sunshine! I wish you all a most beautiful April on this Easter Monday Morning. May you Flourish dear friends. 

No comments: