Friday, March 1, 2024

Attentive Appreciation



 February proved to be a very difficult month in our household. We had to say goodbye to our beloved cat Oscar who passed away one month shy of his 16th birthday. Oscar was a formidable force in our home. He observed everything. There was not a sound or a sight that he ignored. He investigated everything. He was perpetually curious, playful, observant, bossy and comical. He began to slow down extensively in November but still wanted to play and show us that he was in charge of everything. Up until his very last day, he wanted to walk around the property, inspect the catnip, look at his tree and bask in the sunshine.

He was an indoor cat but we had trained him on the leash and he liked to walk around the house every day.He did not care how cold it was, he would look for that spot of sunshine and I would bundle up and sit beside him on the cold ground until he wanted to go in the house.  On his last day, he continued his job of  supervising the cooking from his spot in the kitchen and even nudged me off the chair he wanted before we all went to bed. He passed quietly in his sleep and I felt he went out as a champion, choosing the time and place of his passing.



During the last several months I tuned more deeply into him and his needs. I tried to take in every detail of his fur, his eyes, his meow, the way he walked and his subtle expressions. Oscar was adored.  I knew he was going to pass away and I worked so much harder to appreciate every single movement he made.  All my priorities changed to accommodate him. I put deadlines off and the work on my desk started to pile up more than usual. But he was so worth it. I feel like these past few weeks have occurred through an expectant filter of grief. Nothing is forever and  we know the reality of the outcomes for our precious pets from the moment we take them into our hearts. The lingering lesson that Oscar has left me is appreciation.

Every day I choose what will get my attention. I have a robust schedule to maintain if I am to prepare for my classes and complete commissions. There is an incessant pressure to keep up with social media posts, answer email,  promote upcoming classes, practice my own skills and expand my horizons. But in the midst of the pressures and the tasks, I must stay focused on the beauty of the present moment. There is only one March 1st in 2024. This day will not come again. Some tasks will be accomplished and others will wait. It is important to appreciate this day and all that you have in it. Oscar gave us such joy and his memory will be forever cherished. He was a precious overseer and studio assistant forcing me to take breaks in my schedule whenever he thought it was necessary. I will miss that so much. Seasons in our lives come and go as quickly as the calendar seasons. In the cold of November I was dreaming of March. Now March is here and I want to slow it down to savour the Spring season. Never stop appreciating your present moment. Take time to be grateful for the joys that each day brings to you. Time is so very precious! I never want to forget that. Although my workload is heavy, rest assured that I take time to pause and appreciate the day. I completed a flourish on Oscar's last day of life. I called it Faithful Friend. It was created through the grief of his passing but I poured my heart into it as I dealt with my emotions and thoughts. 

I started it as an example for the Sweet Characters for Spring class for The Gentle Penman.  Oscar would constantly chase bunnies that dared to come into the garden and he loved trying to catch the butterflies. I was always amazed at how high he could jump and how quickly he would spot them. Faithful Friend is a testimony to Oscar, his spirit of curiosity and his constant playful wonder. It also shows my complete  belief in the power of creative work.  My palette has been blue for quite some time.

I think it has helped me process the expectant grief. Pink still comes out to play and when it does, I appreciate it so much more. Even my recent Belles Nouvelles Lettres design featured a butterfly with definite blue tones in it.

The overarching theme of wonder and nature is coming through in my work loud and clear.  The final piece I will share is part of a study for Spencerian Whispers. Once again, as I worked on the piece, I was reminded of Oscar and his constant sense of wonder. No matter how many times he had seen something, it was always a curious wonder to him. If a bee passed by he would stare at it but kept a respectful distance. He never ignored it. 

My approach to will be different. Spencerian can appear rigid if it is not infused with a sense of wonder and curiosity. It is simple to do but takes thought to become expressive and nuanced.  You will find that my lettering is slightly more upright, and pulls from influences of both English Roundhand and Italian Hand.  There is still room in Spencerian Whispers and Belles Nouvelles if you wish to register at Artdington School. Both classes are labours of love for me and a joy to explore.  There is so much to complete these next few weeks and I am forever grateful for the work and for the friendships. You are so precious to me and the time I spend with you means so much. I know some of you are going through grief and health struggles. I hope that you can find joy and strength as you continue to work with your hands. Our creative work is a blessing. It deserves the investment of your precious time and appreciation. I hope this first day of March is filled with blessings, beauty and sense of expectation. Hugs all around. 

No comments: