Saturday, August 1, 2026

Connecting Threads

  Here were are on the first Saturday morning in August. Time always flies so quickly as seasons come and go. This past week was Beatrix Potter's 160th birthday. I celebrated online with several members of the Beatrix Potter Society and took some time to turn the pages of several of her books. She created a world of wonder with a profound appreciation for nature. Her style has had an incredible influence on my work. I am always amazed at how hard working she was and what she accomplished in her lifetime. the A to Z of Beatrix Potter by Penny Bradshaw is a wonderful book to read if you are new to Beatrix Potter. 

Looking at the beauty of Potter's delicate ink strokes and watercolour washes is so refreshing and calming. I feel ushered into a deep state of appreciation. This state of appreciation leads me to pause with gratitude for the experiences I have had as an artist and an instructor. It also helps me maintain that same sense of gratitude for the work that is waiting for me in the coming weeks and months. 


Appreciation is not always easy, especially when the tasks are daunting or difficult. Sometimes creative inspiration is not flowing well and deadlines are looming with a sense of pressure. A normal working day can sometimes bring more stress than expected.   The feeling of pressure to complete a task in a hasty time frame absolutely derails my creative peace and process. Building in time to pause, take a breath, look at the beauty of the garden,  or leaf through the illustrations of a children's book becomes a necessity rather than an indulgent luxury. To appreciate is to pause, reflect and be grateful. It is to truly experience the wonder of the moment. 

When I set out to be a florist in my younger years, I did not anticipate that I would leave that path and become an instructor and artist in the calligraphic community That was never on the radar. But there is such a fire and passion for this art form, that I barely remember my time as a florist.  I  know that my love of flowers continues to be expressed in the work that I do, even if I am not cutting and arranging fresh flowers every day. I can always find a bouquet of flowers to refresh my mind. 


 We have just entered August and I am already excited for fall classes. With each class that I teach, my own journey of education continues. I love to learn and explore. There are lots of opportunities coming up! September will bring For the Love of Birds to the EPPC online. Their website is not quite ready with the registration, but you can watch this space.  

My Study Day in November is posted on my website. I will do more of an official announcement of this class next month. I made some wonderful personal discoveries in an illuminated manuscript that was a delight to explore. The incredible value of a study day experience is being able to immerse yourself for a short time in a limited subject. November's study day is called Gleaning from Marguerite's Garden. There is a sneak peek of the owl illumination below which was really the culmination of taking a deep look at the manuscript and finding my own voice with one of the projects. More info is on the way in September! 


Flourishing Club, The Artful Flourish Festive Edition and Flourish Like Lace are all available for registration but filling quickly. The sustaining power of offhand flourishing continues to fuel my creative work and there is something for all skill levels in these classes. Flourish Like Lace is definitely geared to the intermediate and advanced student but is such a delightful style to explore. The motifs are inspired by antique needle lace.



If you want a very Fanciful and Festive Style of Floral Rinceau, we are going to continue our studies in November at Ardington School. Floral Rinceau, just like Flourishing has a wealth of possibilities. I will be expanding Rinceau studies for years to come! There are so many styles and avenues to explore. 



The May Morris lecture and demo class at Ardington is also open for registration. There is a strong connecting thread in this class that reminded me of my needlework days. Connecting threads are powerful when you see them in the evolution of your own work. You can't help but notice them in everything when you realize how tightly dependent the arts are on each other.




 From the illustrations of Beatrix Potter, to the years spent in the floral industry to my time as an embroiderer, my work is a collection of my past experiences and the ideas that continue to present themselves along the way. Inspiration truly is everywhere. These days, in quiet evenings, I pick up needle and thread to create lace.  I am in awe of the patterns that can be created with a single stitch and humble thread. And when I put the stitching aside, my mind is full of ideas for flourishes. 



 What are your connecting threads? What drew you to this world of calligraphic art?  Do you have books that you go back to that refresh your sense of wonder and give you joy as you turn the pages?  I hope that you find time to leaf through one of those books, look at the beauty of the flowers around you and take a deep breath of appreciation as you put pen, pencil or brush to paper. Shine on dear friends. Share your gifts and bring beauty to the world!  Thank you to all of you who take time to read the blog and contact me. You are so appreciated! Hugs all around!




No comments: