Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Season of Perpetual Hope

I had my March post all ready to publish on March 1st but life got ahead of me. Here were are on the 22nd day of the month and I am still hoping for Spring. I see signs of life in my garden. The Hellebore has budded and I am sure it will be in bloom soon. I hear robins and I have seen the red winged blackbirds already this season and they bring me so much joy. It is amazing how something as small as a bird can make such a large impact. 

As the different sights and sounds come into view through my studio window and my perspective at the desk will change. I love this season. I love anticipating the emerging of green and blossoms. Winter has its own peace and beauty but Spring represents so much Hope for me. I have lots to keep me busy at my desk these days as I prepare for new classes. I have had numerous requests to run a class about my Peacock initials and have agreed to teach a Peacock edition of The Alphabet Garden for The Gentle Penman. There is so much I can dive into as we construct the peacock together but the most important highlight of the class will be exploring a luminous painting technique. Info for registering for the class in may can be found here. 



In May, I will also be offering Victorian Frames and Labels through Ardington online. This is the class that takes a deep dive into the pointed pen etching technique while letting the wonders of the Victorian era shine through.  This class is a great one for any skill level. There are very easy techniques to explore with just pen and ink and the designs are surprisingly meditative. I have been etching away and finding so much joy in the process. The Sprinkle Joy piece is on bamboo paper which has quite a texture to it.

At this stage, I pause and consider the colour palette that will bring it to life. I often want to leave these designs just at the pen etch stage as they have a charm with pure ink on paper. In the end, I did choose to add colour to the design. 


Victorian Frames and labels are wonderful small studies for cards, envelopes or menu designs. They are highly addictive! There are still a few spaces left for this class if you are interested in joining us. Ardington classes are kept small so I am able to offer more interaction and feedback for the students in the courses. 


Finally, if you want to look ahead as far as June, I will be presenting The Passionate Pen class for Ardington School online. The Passionate Pen is my look Anglaise or English Roundhand. This is my approach to the beautiful English Script writing that is such a graceful form of handwriting. English Roundhand sings a song of its own and it is a delight to explore. There are only a few seats left for this course in June so I thought I should mention it on the blog if you were considering it. The graceful writing style is a perfect compliment for Victorian Frames and Labels. 


 I am grateful for the opportunity to share my work with students from all over the world. What makes me happiest is seeing their own interpretations of the work that is presented and watching how they grow. I hope that you are having a beautiful Spring wherever you are. Thank you for taking the time to read the blog and send me emails. I am always so happy to hear from you. Looking forward to the emerging season with you and I hope you find joy with the work of your hands. Sprinkle Joy dear friends!

No comments: