Wednesday, October 19, 2016

In the Beginning

I was recently asked about what drew me into the calligraphic world. I remember being enticed by the world of offhand flourishing and the beautiful creative patterns that I saw in The Ames Compendium and Ornate Pictorial Calligraphy. I was hooked just by looking at the images. Skill came slowly and was hard earned. I practiced for hours a day and made very slow progress. I broke pen nibs, ran into trouble finding the correct pen point to suit the skills that I had in my hand at the time, paper surfaces challenged me and I wanted to use colour but didn't know what would work in my pen. I made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot of lessons. My daily practice included writing letters and decorating envelopes to mail out to friends and family.
Now and then someone will send me a picture of one of my early efforts to show my evolution as a pen artist. I laugh and shudder when I see the work. But such was my beginning. There was no substitute for learning those lessons. And there was a great joy in creating the envelopes and letters.
Every Sunday was letter writing day for me without fail. I would always write and always flourish envelopes to hold the letters. It was a wonderful time. I am grateful to the lessons I learned as a beginner. One paper that I loved to was Canson Mi-Tientes Stygian Black Pastel Paper. Densely black, slightly toothed on both sides of the paper making it a bit risky to go too fast, and an incredible background for white and gold. Back in 2003, it was wonderful to be able to find black paper for writing and flourishing. Things have certainly changed. The arts and crafts stores are filled with beautiful vibrant coloured papers and our calligraphic stockists have so many wonderful metallic products to augment our work. I never dreamed of the possibilities that I would see back in the beginning of my journey. A wise teacher and friend once told me not to rush that beginning process. I would only be a beginner once and I would be wise to cherish that time. I understand the meaning of that now. There is something so special about having those eyes that are constantly making new discoveries. Autumn heightens the sense of awareness and discovery.
Every walk is an adventure and every day new colours greet me. Enjoy the season you are in, whether you are starting out as a beginner, evolving as an artist or just becoming aware of the possibilities. Seasons come and go so quickly.

No comments: