Sunday, August 28, 2016

Wild Patience

Not sure where this quote came from. I had it jotted down in one of my journals and decided it would be perfect for a butterfly exploration. We planted a butterfly bush in the meditation garden and it has had many beautiful butterflies. One visitor was a Great Spangled Frittilary. I had never seen one before and wanted to paint it immediately. I did not have one in my specimen collection so I sort of created a composite butterfly based on a Comma Butterfly in my collection, a Painted Lady and my memory of the Great Spangled Frittilary. That is the beauty of The Enchanted Meadow. Our creatures don't have to be entirely real, but they do help to hone skills and develop keen observation skils. Since the Birmingham workshop launch of The Enchanted Meadow, I have had multiple requests to teach it at various guilds. I will keep you posted! I have been thrilled with student work too. I have received emails from students who have put Pandas in their Enchanted Meadow as well as a gorgeous chickadee. So exciting to see that enthusiasm for painted miniatures is contagious. My email inbox continues to be full. Lots of questions from various artists and new students to the calligraphic world. The new students seem to be captivated through all of the calligraphic art they see on instagram. I see this as a mixed blessing. There are lots of wonderful posts. There are lots of different styles to explore and so many different opinions of what is right and what is wrong. No shortages of opinions, including my own. Some great advice out there and some not so great. What I do see is a trend to create quickly and post instantly. My advice to students who have worked through the basics and are getting bored of just exploring a single word or group of letters is to start to develop a portfolio of completed artwork. You are never too young in your journey to do this. You will develop an eye for compostion and skills at working on larger pieces. I waited far too long in my journey to do this, thinking that my skills weren't worthy to be put on a piece of proper art paper. Let me assure you, this couldn't be further than the truth. Invest in some quality paper and work on a finished piece that intriques you. Learn the lesson that it has to teach, sign it, date it and then do another one. Develop a sense of awareness of all the things that can go right or terribly wrong on a piece of artwork and keep notes on your process. Dig deeper, challenge yourself and constantly explore. There is fine line between exploring subjects that are just a bit too difficult for your skill level and those that are too easy and will not challenge you. Find that balance and give it a try. The worse thing that can happen is that you don't like what you create. Just move on to the next project after learning the lessons of the previous one. I know I say this a lot, but I seem to have a lot of people feeling " stalled" or hitting a plateau. This is one way forward. We all hit those plateaus and we all feel stalled now and then. The only way I know to get through that is to keep showing up at your work space and trying something one day at a time. This painted butterfly piece taught me so much and challenges me to try another and another. I hope those who read this blog post find some encouragement to try a larger piece. Branch out from just practicing your favourite script and work on a finished composition. See what happens! Be wildy patient with yourself as you try new things and work through ideas. There is no race and no finish line that I have ever seen or heard of. Just more to explore! Happy exploring!!!

2 comments:

colorpoems said...

I absolutely love our work! I've been following your blog for about a year.
Just found out that the president of my calligraphy guild just booked you April 2019, your next opening! Gosh, I can't wait! Laurie with the Michiana Calligraphy Guild...Ginny Vanderhey is the president.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you so much for the kind words!! Looking forward to seeing you in Indiana in 2019! Time flies! Big hug! Heather