Thursday, August 18, 2016

Living In Wonder

Right now I find time for botanical art work here and there. I would love to immerse myself in the process much more deeply, but I have so many other commitments to take care of. Lots of upcoming travel dates and lots of commission work. Not complaining....just trying to manage my time more effectively! The botanical art journey has been wonderful so far. Intriguing and mesermerizing. It has awakened my sense of awareness and a deep appreciation for the beauty that surrounds me. It has changed me. I am now impossibly difficult to walk with! I stop and look at leaves on the ground, crab apples that are slowly ripening or a grasshopper that is resting. Grocery stores and farmer's markets are equally distracting! I am not looking at produce now to consume, but to draw! It's really quite fun. I want to see everything. I want to take it all in. I have such a deep respect for those botanical artists who can capture every detail and still draw me inward for a closer look at what they are illustrating. The process is captivating. Some people just don't get it at all and think I should just take a photograph. That comment just totally misses the point. What I am learning in the world of botanical art confirms the process that I go through as a pointed pen artist. It is total immersion with your subject. When I look at a leaf, I am not trying to recreate every detail like a photograph would. I am trying to understand the subject. Trying to really see all the different colours in a single green leaf. Look at the veining patterns. Try to see every colour and shape that is represented. It is fascinating. It is endless. I can safely say that I am hooked! These studies help inform my calligraphic work. They help me appreciate the skills I have with a pointed pen and help me to see how much more there is to learn. Every day is an adventure and a challenge. Every day is filled with wonder. Pictures in this blog post are from my sketchbook and from my garden. Enjoy each day and each season as it comes and goes!

No comments: