Thursday, June 16, 2016

New Eyes

I have come across some of the writings of John Ruskin in my studies of Kate Greenaway. Kate and John corresponded for years. John Ruskin was very encouraging of her work and some of his comments and critiques of her work are quite remarkable. This month I have been working on leaf studies in botanical illustration and Ruskin came to mind. One of his quotes... "PAINT the leaves as they grow! If you can paint one leaf, you can paint the world." has inspired me for many years but I feel like I am just beginning to understand it. There is a world of patience and understanding to find in a single leaf. I am still working on vellum and watercolour and will post more about that soon. But I have been diving into the world of Faber Castell Polychromos coloured pencils and finding a lot of lessons to be learned. Learning to tone, and layer colors and really see light and shade is mesmerizing. I stop and look at leaves on the shrubs and trees as I go on my daily walks. I am truly mesmerized. I am overwhelmed with the beauty in our world even in a single leaf. Today I worked on a sketchbook page and I look foward to expanding these pages and my studies.
As I closed my sketchbook to come into the house, this strange leaf rustled in front of me.
I have no idea what plant it came from. It almost looks like a dried geranium leaf but I am not sure. I don't see anything else like it on the property. But it seemed like almost a challenge from Ruskin!! Maybe if I can paint this leaf....I can paint the world.

1 comment:

Camille Werther said...

Heather, isn't it fun to use those pencils? Once I started thinking of layering them like watercolors, like you are doing here, I really began to enjoy them. And you are right- there is so much beauty even in a single leaf. Enjoy your blog, as always!