Thursday, May 5, 2016

K is for Kathleen

This week I recieved a very precious gift from a wonderful artist. Kathleen Rollick is a talented calligrapher that I met at IAMPETH a few years ago. When I was president of the organization in 2014 she gave me a beautiful piece of her artwork that she had made into a necklace. I was so touched by her generous spirit and felt so privileged to have a piece of her artwork to wear. When I received a package in the mail from her this week, my heart skipped a beat.
Anything she would share with me would be a welcome surprise but nothing could prepare me for what was in the package. I knew of her incredible work of handpainted Easter Eggs. I had stumbled across an article about her Easter Eggs while I was looking up information for my Indianapolis conference in 2014. You can read the article here. Her prayerful process of the painting the eggs and and creating them for a specific person was so touching and heartwarming. I never dreamed I would have one of my own. She enclosed the fragile egg carefully in a tea container and sent along a very special note along with a key of the all of the symbols she used to paint the egg.
I can only imagine how time consuming the whole process was for her to complete. And to know that I had been prayed for while she painted the egg, brought tears to my eyes.
What a precious and special gift. Something I will always cherish. And now I have the joy of searching for the just the right egg cup for display! I will enjoy the hunt in the antique shops! I created this Enchanted Letter as a thank you for Kathleen.
Something from my hands and my heart with sincere gratitude for her artwork. I created the first design on the matte film, trying my Enchanted Letter techniques and gilding on the film. It worked really well and I was pleased with the results up until the Finetec gold was added for embellishement. The Finetec gold seemed to spread out a little too far on the matte film.
I continued to finish the piece but ultimately did a second letter to send to Kathleen. This time working on Somerset Satin paper with a slight texture. Both letters were created with a such appreciation for this amazing artist.
Her incredibly generous gift to me was a reminder of how healing and blessing our work can be to others. If the thought crosses your mind to send a piece of your artwork to someone else....act on it. Don't second guess yourself. Just trust your instincts and see what happens. You have no idea the chain reaction of joy that it can bring to someone else. It can be as simple as a decorated envelope with a note inside to let someone know you were thinking of them! Now I just need more hours in the day to get notes to those who have been on my mind. Thank you dear Kathleen for blessing me!

No comments: