Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Watching the Changes

Fall is a great time for changes!! My beautiful Pagoda Dogwood tree is giving me gifts of vibrant leaves every day! As I go outside, I find that I just want to pick up every one of them and bring them in to paint. Seriously...my kitchen counter has an "area" filled with acorns, conker chestnuts, leaves, bittersweet berries and maple keys! Usually I am not a fan of autumn because winter follows so closely and leaves us with grey skies for so long! But I feel like a squirrel storing up painting studies to get me through the winter!

This weekend, I spent time outside with my viola plant. I captured some sketches in my sketchbook and then went on to do a vellum study. I struggled on the paper as well as the vellum trying to get a smooth transition between the shades of purples and periwinkles and different yellows! Lots of mixing going on. I recognize the importance of a transparent palette when working on vellum. The Daniel Smith dot card is a great guide right now as I consider which pigments to eliminate in my palette as I try to create one that is transparent. My new favourite Daniels Smith Colour is Rose of Ultramarine! Here is the completed vellum study.
This is my first little leaf study as well.
As I painted outside. I was surrounded by so many bluejays! I keep their peanut feeder filled and they keep me entertained. I wanted to capture one of the young bluejays in a Victorian meets Medieval setting. The sketch and the foliate work were painted in the evening.
I used my dry brush techniques on the bird and traditional illumination and painting skills on the rest of the design. I am seeing these two worlds merge together. The little Bluejay is part of my Enchanted Meadow Series. More to come as I expand that series and prepare to teach that workshop in Birmingham next year. The pen work on this piece was done with Ziller Buffalo Brown. I appreciate that it is always as fresh as a brand new bottle without any of the surprises of McCaffery Brown. But the line quality is thicker so I use a very light touch and a very stiff nib in my pen holder. This was the final result of my painting day.