Thursday, September 17, 2015

In Process

Busy fall for sure. Mulitple teaching trips and many workshops on the go. But I am loving this diversion into the natural world to study painting on vellum. My butterfly class took a little detour as we looked at other insects. Meet Chrysochroa Buqueti Rugicolis.
What a beauty!!! A coppery metallic head, metallic purple markings against a shiny flax coloured body. I am in awe of this creature. I wouldn't want to see him in the kitchen cupboard but we are friends in this format. I did the initial drawing on graph paper as I still find the measuring process to be a bit challenging.
Drawing straight lines has always been a challenge so the graph paper keeps me in line! Also part of the study process is testing the paint colours in a sketch book. I purchased the Stillman and Birn Zeta series hardbound sketch book for these studies.
The paper is heavy and very smooth and able to take watercolour washes. The process of testing the subject with a small sketch and colour swatches eliminates the process of trial and error at the colour stage. The thinking and planning are done in the sketchbook. It also slows me down and makes me much more deliberate in my thought process. A real change from the free forming of offhand flourishing. The metallic copper and russet in the head are not in any of my watercolour tubes but thankfully the Daniel Smith metallic dots came to the rescue.
They are awfully tempting to use but I can see that I need to be very careful in applying them. He is still in process. I am enjoying the process of learning new techniques and getting over my fear of insects at the same time!

No comments: