Thursday, August 20, 2015

Butterflies!!!!!!!!

I am currenlty enrolled in a 4 week butterfly illustration class. I started out working with photos but it became clear to me very quickly that I needed a specimen to really study. I took a trip to the butterfly conservatory to purchase a specimen but found that I would have to take the mount apart to really study it. I turned to Thorne's Insect Shoppe online. Wow!!!!!!!!!!! The real challenge was not buying too much. Bearing in mind that I only need one butterfly to study for this class, I purchaesd 11 butterflies!!!! Some from Africa, India, South America and North America. If I had stayed on that website any longer, I would have bought several more. I thought that would take care of the specimen problem until I realized that the butterflies I ordered had come dehydrated and would require hydration! Thanks to youtube, there are several tutorials about how to hydrate the butterflies, which I did over the past 24 hours. My next learning curve to face was the fact that the butterflies don't immediately spring back into their open wing form once hydrated!!!! They need to be spread out and pinned into place!!! I don't have a high tolerance for bugs even when they are this pretty! This evening, Chris made me some foamboard butterfly spreading boards where I could pin the specimens into place. It was easier than I thought. Only one of the specimens has a slight tear in the wing. I will have to wait another 24 to 48 hours for these to dry out again. Then the process of illustration can begin for me. I will need to study the front side and underside of the wings. No matter how the drawings and paintings turned out, I have already learned so much! I can see each little face on the the butterfly, really observe their scales and vein structure. I am captivated at this point and will hopefully get some good drawings to share with you!

2 comments:

Joseph Chapman said...

Lepidopterous! What media are you using, and are you doing anything funky for the iridescent parts?

Heather Victoria Held said...

Hi Joseph...I will be working on Fabriano Artistico 140 Lb Hot Press paper with watercolour and I will also try vellum. The funky irridescent bits will require experiementing with my Finetec Moire colours. I have a couple of Daniel Smith's interference colours on hand to try as well. Otherwise, i may mix in some Winsor Newton Iridescent medium. The fun never ends!!!