Friday, July 31, 2015

Freeing the Caged Bird

Earlier this month I wrote about my portfolio purge. That has been a good and welcome change for me and begun the process of freeing my mind for new work. The purge started as a result of reading The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.
The theory behind the book is not so much about what you discard but about what you keep. I hang on to the things that "spark joy". The portfolio purge led to a studio purge and the household purge is still going on!!! The unexpected result of reading through the book was deeply personal. As the studio purge took place, I got rid of all notes and even workshop handouts that were no longer useful. Some of them had been sitting in untouched binders for over 10 years. They represented where I had been in the past and not where I wanted to go. The experience of being in the workshop is what I want to remember. Countless pages into the recycle bin. I can hear the collective gasp all the way here in Canada!! As they hit the recycle bin, my mind started clearing. I felt a freedom that I had not experienced since before I entered the calligraphic world. My only art background is my floral training. When you train as a florist, you learn how to allow each flower to express its own beauty...and show its own face. No flower should be overshadowed by another.
That philosophy was not true in the calligraphic world I experienced. Some teachers believed that their style and influence should dominate over another. I didn't realize what an effect this had on me until very recently. As a teacher in the calligraphic world, I work hard to make sure that I never pass on this sentiment. My motto is that each student is the king or queen of their own studio and when they leave my workshop, they should be free to find their own expression with their own unique style. As I continue to purge my studio, home and life of the things I no longer need, the caged bird inside is finding freedom. I fully expect that my artwork will change. I am so excited about this. This beautiful necklace was given to me by my dear friend Barbara Calzolari.
She could have no idea the significance of such a gift at this time in my life. I wear it daily as I find new paths that spark joy and let new ideas take hold in my mind. My studio is starting to feel quite different when I sit down to work. Let's see what happens next. I expect the Victorian Muse to continue to make her appearance but lets see what else she can do.

2 comments:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I had the same epiphany around 2001 when I discovered FlyLady. It took me 9 months working consistently 15 minutes a day to get shed of all the things that served no purpose.
One of the biggest blocks most people have is "I might need it some day".

My muddle-mind also cleared with the cleaning out. I limit myself to 2 hours a day computer/phone. One forum per interest (for a total of 2 :)...before FlyLady I was on 22 quilt groups, back in the yahoogroups heyday.

anyway, just wanted to say the joyful ramifications of decluttering your life will be life long.
Sharyn

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Sharyn!!!! I am so excited to hear this. I am thrilled with the results so far. Big hug!