Thursday, June 18, 2015

My Adventure with Isabey and Strathmore

I have a natural curiosity when it comes to art supplies. This has cost me dearly. I have invested way too much money in supplies that have not been suitable for my purposes. But sometimes my curiosity works out well! I invested in some Strathmore 400 Series Drawing Paper for sketching but quickly became impressed with its capabilities for ink. It is smooth 80 lb. paper and recommended for dry media.
I have not yet used this drawing pad for my sketches, but I did try my pen practice on it and I was pleasantly surprised. It reacts beautifully to both the pointed and the edge pen.
I can practice with walnut ink on this paper and it does not bleed. I loved the warmth of the cream colour so I tried small gilding experiments and it came through beautifully. I use miniatum ink on this paper without it buckling. Beyond that, it will take watercolour, pastel and coloured pencil. This past week I put it through a strength test with a very ornate piece. I applied mulitple washes of watercolour and detailed inking.
The paper did not buckle. I use a moist brush technique rather than a wet brush which worked perfectly on this paper. I even tried correcting work with a tiny bit of sand paper and pumice powder and the paper did not bruise. However, a heavier application of the sandpaper would likely erode the paper completely. This is extremely lightweight paper. I wish it was just a bit heavier, but it serves its purpose for me when I want a creamy coloured background. I was previously using Somerset Satin Paper for this purpose but it had its own challenges! I will continue to look for the perfect weight and texture of cream paper, but I remin impressed with the Strathmore Drawing 400 Series. My big surprise was the purchase of an Isabey Retouching Kolinskly Sable brush.
This winter I noticed that I needed to replace some of my tired brushes and started shopping online. I have never had to buy a sable brush online before. I prefer to see the brush before I purchase it. But sable brushes and art stores are scarce in my area now! I had seen an Isabey brush at the Dick Blick in Philadelphia and I have been regretting not purchasing it ever since! I ordered a size 4 retouching brush throug DeSerres in Canada and had to wait weeks for them to locate it. I was initially disapointed in the size of it. This brush is far bigger than any I use for miniature painting, so I gave it a cozy home until I finally tried it this week. What an awakening!! I am in awe of this brush. It has a tip that is fine and pointed enough for me to do precise lining and detail work. But the shape of the brush allows for incredible pigment and moisture storage. I could go on and on with a single loading of this brush and it was giving me more precision than my Raphael pointed round brushes. I have a new treasure in the studio!!! This little brush is worth the price. Yesterday I ordered the size 0 and size 2 to add to my collection. I will let you know how they work out. I think I have found the perfect brush..at least for my method of application on miniature work.

4 comments:

jackyj said...

Thanks for this information! I appreciate it. Your work is beautiful!

Joseph Chapman said...

Wow. I have a bunch of Strathmore drawing paper lying around and had never thought of using it for anything but... uh... drawing. Given the texture I certainly wouldn't have thought of gilding on it.

I have a few Isabey travel brushes that I like a lot, plus a squirrel mop I bought because I tend to be afraid of using a lot of liquid. Very therapeutic, and it will be most useful if I ever decide to go into the Rorschach business. I'll have to try the retouching brushes.

You might be in serious financial distress if, like me, you went by two art stores on your daily commute!

Thanks for the tips and happy Midsummer!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Great to hear from you Joseph!!! It would be heaven to pass by two art stores on the daily commute. Stop at one on the way in...and the other on the way out!!!! Happy Midsummer to you! Heather

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you for the kind words Jacky!