Monday, May 11, 2015

The Haven is Ready

Winter has given up and the outdoor studio is set up and ready for work!
Seasons go by too quickly here for me to stay indoors doing my work in my little studio. I love to be surrounded by the sights and sounds of nature as I work. This year, study time is with a new Botanical painting book by Muriel Thurstan and Rosie Martin.
The book has beautiful step by step instruction and is worth the price for the colour mixing section alone. I am not a huge fan of the double primary mixing system but I am giving it a try with their recommended colours.
I think the colour that always me threw me off in that system was having Cerulean Blue as my warm blue. The authors have recommeded Prussian Blue as the warm blue and I am enjoying the variations it is capable of. Spring and Summer are my busiest seasons but I am looking foward to the lessons I can continue to learn in my little outdoor haven.

2 comments:

Joseph Chapman said...

One of the problems with cerulean blue is the colors are all over the place (considering only PB35/PB36 and ignoring the evil manufacturers who call, e.g., phthalo blue "cerulean"). Based on the colorimetry the average Prussian looks greener than the average cerulean, for what that's worth.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Joseph!!! Great to hear from you. What colours would you put in a double primary palette. There seem to be some conflicting views!!! Big hug!