Sunday, October 26, 2014

D is for Debbie

Every autumn my family and I make time to visit The Studio Tour of my illumination teacher Debbie Thompson Wilson. Her work sells out quickly. It is such a treat to see what she has created from year to year. My family and I have added to our collection of Thompson originals over the years and they are treasured heirlooms in our homes. This year, I was away teaching and could not get to the studio tour but was delighted to learn that Debbie's illuminations have been published in an ebook, New Psalms for Old Sorrows, which is now available for purchase. You can find it here. I have it safely downloaded to my iPad and can enjoy the writing and illuminations at my leisure. In a few weeks, I will have my study day with Debbie and continue to learn illumination techniques. I am constantly grateful for the skills she has helped me develop over the years and her generosity in sharing her techniques. She is a delight!! I think you will enjoy her illuminations as well. I am in the midst of experimenting with different gilding mediums on vellum and paper.
I will keep you updated with what happens! Currently, my favourite gilding medium is Miniatum Ink. I can write with it and achieve a beautiful mirror shine! The Enchanted Letter D pictured above is gilded with Palladium and Miniatum ink.

No comments: