Monday, September 22, 2014

Fascinating Season

Autumn is a very reflective time for me. Not so easy to sit outside and work in the chilly air but nature still entices. The colours around me are influencing my work. I am still playing with my "wonder of the world" quote. My indoor studio always has the window open no matter what the weather outside is doing. I need to hear the trees in the wind, or the rainfall or the birds chirping. It helps me to breathe. The open window invites the opportunity of surprise. This little piece although gilded is still practice.
I am practicing pen drawn borders for The Victorian Pen class. I am practicing with a split nib and trying new materials and new colour combinations. The finished piece becomes an exercise in mindful self critique. It the best way for me to grow as an artist,hone skills and weed out things in my work that need to change. The Autumn Season is helping this process. This little border practice piece is done on Strathmore 400 Series drawing paper with Walnut ink, McCaffery Brown, Watercolour, Watercolour pencil, Gouache, Pastel, Swarovski crystal and Sakura Gelly Roll Pen. All gilding is done with 23K gold leaf and miniatum ink.
The border sketch originated in my journal and is still evolving from the original sketch.

No comments: