Monday, July 14, 2014

Rejoice in the Blossoming of Every Flower.

Sometimes it just takes one moment to completely change your perspective. Tasks of late have been overwhelming but out of the blue I got a phone call from a member of the Calligraphic Art Guild of Toronto. A month ago, I taught my Italian Hand class there and she called to tell me that she had been practicing daily since that class! She had accepted my 6 week boot camp challenge and not a day has gone by when she didn't pick up the pointed pen. I couldn't be happier!!! This piece was created just after that phone call. It reinforced the importance of spending time in practice. This weekend, I put aside some tasks, met with a student for a private lesson, went out for a coffee and did a piece of work just for me. The "Rejoice" piece is done on Canson drawing paper with Robert Hurford's homemade walnut ink which is a gorgeous rich brown!
I used my oil based Polychromos coloured pencils, Diane Townsend pastels and a new gold from the Czech Republic that is more brilliant than any I have used. Not sure if Jerry Tresser has any left, but this gold is pure magic. The colours used departed from my favourite pink. I felt like I needed the warmth of the reds and oranges.
A piece just for me! This piece is reflective of the practice time I am taking to hone different skills and expand my horizons. I am constantly amazed at how much this artform has to teach!

2 comments:

kate adderley said...

Hi Heather, this piece is so beautiful, just like all your work.....well done on getting something done for yourself.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you dear Kate!!!!!! I had so much fun with this piece! Big hug, Heather