Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A Thankful Day

I have been up early this morning to work on place cards and catch up on correspondence. But my husband Chris was up even earlier and has already started his workday. Working quietly in my studio, I was struck with a thought about how intregal Chris is to my work. This past weekend he was on the road with me as I taught Italian Hand. He stayed for two days with our merchandise, politely answered questions about nibs and paper, adjusted penholders and visited with the calligraphers. They kept wondering if Chris was really a practitioner of the art form. He did try his hand at it but sadly, it was just not his idea of fun. Today as I wrote with a very special penholder that the two of us made together, I wanted to pause and be thankful for all that he has done to help me on this calligraphic journey.
Those of you who have been in my workshops, know that Chris started me on this journey by bringing me home a Scheaffer's calligraphy set and thinking that he had finally found me a cheap hobby! He hadn't counted on the fact that the calligraphic arts would capture me body and soul! Behind the scenes, although working full time as well as weekends on his masonry, he is building us a new website, working on new penstaffs, fulfilling and shipping penstaff orders, editing video content for my online lessons and keeping me sane as I prepare for IAMPETH. He is patient, and he is obliging as I seem to need his help with more and more projects. On the comical side of things, our lathe, which is very antiquated, can no longer slow down. It has one speed, overheats after one or two penstaffs and sounds a bit like a bulldozer! Despite those shortcomings, Chris is still out in the garage working on pen staffs! Thankfully a new lathe has been ordered and should arrive shortly! I wanted to share a look at some of Chris' work while being thankful and mindful of all that he does for the business of Heather Victoria Held.I am incredibly proud of the penstaffs he creates. I still turn a few of them, but most of the time he sets them aside for me to hand dye or inspect.
I couldn't do my work without him! He makes this journey through life so much fun.

8 comments:

Anne K said...

Lovely tribute. There is a gentle power in partnership - a sharing of energy and passions that makes everything better. You are a lucky woman

Frances Miller said...

Very lovely penholders. will they be available at Iampeth this year? what is the cost?

Thank you!


Heather Victoria Held said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Anne!
Heather

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Frances. Yes the penholders will be with us at IAMPETH. There is a range of prices but most straight holders are $65 and obliques are $70. See you at IAMPETH.

Jessica said...

Nice to enjoy the road less traveled with the one your love. Tell Chris I love my pen holder. I get compliments on it all the time.

Moya said...

That rainbow-dyed oblique holder is breathtakingly beautiful. I won't be at Iampeth this year (and I don't want to deplete stock before the conference!) but is there any chance that you and Chris would take a custom order for a similar oblique after Iampeth?

Heather Victoria Held said...

Hi Moya,

I would be happy to put that rainbow holder aside for you. Just email me at heather@heathervictoriaheld.com and we can chat about it. Many thanks!