Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Too Busy Not to Paint!

Busy has been my default setting lately! I am making it a habit to find time for practice and for play even though my daily agenda is filled. I try to keep up with my handwritten correspondence and I am working on some very large projects at the moment. But in between the projects and the busy schedule the illuminated miniature has been a haven of peace. The sketch begins in my journal with a quick pencil drawing which is transferred onto my paper or vellum. The sketch usually takes me about 30 minutes and once I have laid down the gold size, the painting process takes about 2-3 hours for this small size.
My love of the painting techniques of Marie Angel, illuminated manuscripts and the only little animals I have seen on my walks in this harsh winter have provided the inspiration for the sketches and the paintings. In the midst of winter and an extremely busy schedule I find the quiet of painting to be a wonderful solace where I can recharge. The pen has been busy too as I explore new techniques and styles that are difficult. I will keep you posted on the pen progress soon!

6 comments:

Dana said...

So sweet, Heather! I can tell you had fun with them.
xo~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Dana. They are bright spots in a very dreary winter!!
Xo!

nutcake said...

Lovely, Heather. They brighten up the day, which incidentally here in the UK is dull and miserable!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you!!!! I need the little paintings to brighten up this brutal Canadian winter as well. Big hug!

Sue Hulen said...

I love this. You are so talented and creative. I love the colors..so cheerful. This looks like it took you some time to create. Bravo!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you dear Sue!