Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Image Emerges

I have spent my first week with the Boucicaut Master. I have spent 7 hours this week in the underpainting stage of the image. The underpainting stage consists of a light wash of the colours of the design. Traditionally, I paint the foliate features first but I started this miniature with the two features that will cause me the most trouble, the angels! Remembering that I enlarged this image quite a bit, I marvel at the skill of the Boucicaut Master. The first surprise that came to me was the angel at the bottom of the border. Without a doubt he is painted with a pug nose!
I will not include that nose on my little angel, but he brought a smile to my face when I saw that little nose. The top angel is painted in profile which is always a challenge for me. Each finger is accounted for. At least on the original.
I am struggling through the facial features and the finger positions, but I still have room to capture them properly. The underpainting stage is done to help capture the design before the details are painted in. The hands and faces of the angels are painted in Holbein Jaune Brilliant 1 and Jaune Brilliant 2. The underpainting was done in the following order and colors, Yellow Ochre, Olive Green, Cobalt Blue and French Vermillion. I am limiting my palette to my Senellier Pan colours and my Winsor Newton Pans. At the end of the week, I am still nervous about the angels but I am hopeful that I will find lots of joy in painting the foliate work!

2 comments:

Dana said...

I am very interested in hearing more about your studies. These are great!
xo

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!!! I am looking through my books at the moment to see what else I can learn about the Boucicaut Master. So much to learn!
XO!