Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Mid-December Morning

There are mornings when the thought of writing wakes me up and I have to get into the studio to play. This morning as the sun rose slowly, I found a blue/grey piece of Canson paper and a Tennyson quote that has been rolling around in my head. The house is quiet in the morning and I can work in peace. I mixed a new batch of ivory ink and wrote the words.
My straight holder was nearby and the Esterbrook 128 still has some life in it. December is an odd month for me. Lots of holiday tasks to take care of. I love to visit the shops to see their Christmas displays. My classes wind down for the end of the year and I find time to breathe. This morning the quote helped me reflect on those who I have met this year. So many wonderful students who have become my friends. I am so grateful for my experiences, my family, my friends, students and colleagues. Grateful for time spent working with the pen. Grateful that I still have so much to learn.

6 comments:

Marina said...

I just joined your blog about a week ago, but I am really enjoying your posts. You do very inspiring work, and it makes me want to practice! This Tennyson piece is beautiful, and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for posting!! Welcome to the blog!

Heather

CindyAZ said...

I love your work. You are an inspiration to me. I wanted to know what ivory ink you used. It is awesome on the grey paper. Thank you.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the kind words Cindy. The ivory ink is made by mixing equal parts of Schmicke Gold Pearl Gouache and Winsor Newton Zinc White Gouche. Add distilled water to get the desired consistency and then a small touch of bleedproof white to brighten the ink. It works like a charm.Big hug to you
Heather

CindyAZ said...

Thank you Heather. I hope to some day meet you and hopefully take your class.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Cindy! It would be wonderful to meet you.
Heather