Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Fountain Pen and The Art of Slowing Down

I got an email several weeks ago through the Iampeth website asking if I would contribute thoughts about handwriting and fountain pens. I eagerly responded to the writer and soon found myself on Skype to a writer in England. She asked me questions about handwriting and using a fountain pen and both are becoming a large part of my daily routine. I didn't set out to collect fountain pens, but somehow found myself with three of them!
They beckon to me at Phidon Pens and I have my eye on a Lilliput pen which is one of the most adorable fountain pens I have seen! I am enjoying changing the colours of my ink and when the Rembrandt Visconti pen is my hand, I feel so privileged to be able to use it. The interview appeared online this week and my thoughts about handwriting and slowing down have been recorded. I feel like a walking experiment as I approach the busiest season that I have ever found myself in and still reaching daily for pen and ink. I still hold my position that in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the pre-holiday season, writing and calligraphic art is like meditating on paper. I can feel a physical difference as I slow down and tranfer thoughts and words to paper rather than get caught up in the speed of life around me. I may detatch digitally for periods of time in the coming year to catch my breath mentally and physically! I have found other calming projects to write about as well. Right now I am so thankful for paper, pens and friends to write to. Hope you enjoy the article.

No comments: