Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Shallows: Level Two Handwriting Class

Packing my travel bag now getting ready for level 2 of my handwriting class. Much of the backstory in putting this handwriting class together has come from Nicholas Carr's book The Shallows. The book prompted research into more books about neuroplasticity, multitasking, digital natives and mindfulness. A surprising link is handwriting!! Armed today, with fountain pens, dip pens, ink, stationery, an ipad and Monteverde Stylus pen I am ready to rage against the machine! I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I love the capabilities, the information, the tools it offers in my work and my sense of connecting with my colleagues and friends. But it comes with a price. It tasks our chief central resource...our ability to focus. This class is always exciting. I love hearing the stories of my students, and watching them reclaim their handwriting heritage!

2 comments:

Joy Fairclough said...

Very cool! I love this idea. I'm trying to reclaim my handwriting heritage by journaling.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Wonderful! I do some journaling as well!

Happy Writing!

Heather