Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ink on Paper

October 1st already! Time to update the blog. My life is overwhelming at the moment as my classes are starting up again, I work on the Iampeth conference and watch my October calendar fill to capacity. I was reminded this evening of the time outs I often gave myself regularly to retreat to the coffee shop and just work with my pen in solitude. Something about the ambient noise of people chatting and hearing espresso brewing was condusive to my work. I need to take more of those time outs regularly! This evening, I shut my studio door and opened a new bottle of Edelstein Amber Ink. I was given the gift of a Visconti Rembrant fountain pen and the Amber ink matches it very well. But the first work out I gave the ink was with my Spencerian 1 and my snakewood straight holder on Maruman Imagination paper. The fountain pen ink feels different than McCaffery's as it flows out of the pen. It is transparent and rich in colour. It doesn't quite deliver the hairlines that McCaffery's does but the Maruman paper could take the pressure and the ink had very little bleed. Fun to play with these inks and enjoy their vibrant colours. Happy to fill my fountain pen with it. The hand that I was practicing is my English Roundhand. My caps were getting very loose as I progressed down the page. Happy October 1st.

4 comments:

Joseph Chapman said...

Have you tried adding some gum arabic to the Edelstein ink? It's a Bill Lilly trick, though he takes it to an extreme--big spoonful of powdered g. a. to 30 ml of ink.

Heather Victoria Held said...

I did the Bill Lilly trick with my bottle of Sapphire Edelstein ink. I think I might have over done things. The big spoonful sat on top of the ink for quite awhile. I tried stirring it in and made clumps. It settled nicely after two days though. But, my ink became shiny and even a bit sticky!!! Still works for practice though.

nutcake said...

It's lovely work, Heather. The colour seems to make it more lively!

Hazel

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Hazel!