Saturday, July 27, 2013

Time for Transitions

I have been spending a lot of time reorganizng my home and my studio. I have cleared out over all kind of unused art supplies, papers and books that haven't been utilized in years. I am learning to give myself broader margins in my work and in my life. Just finished reading a book that talked a lot about the "white space" that is needed in our lives. It has affected my work. I opened up a larger work space in my studio by clearing out the "stuff" than enclosed my space. I gave myself much more space to work on this piece. The paper is 12" x 14" Fabriano Artistico. Rather than flat gilding with Rolco, I used Instacoll to raise all the gold. Rather than my default ink of McCaffery Brown, I used the bolder Old World Iron Gall Ink. I brighted up my palette with some turquoise. No doubt influenced by my time in New Mexico. The script is bolder than my usual Spencerian. I used a Spanish influenced style of Roundhand fashioned after the hand of Ramon Stirling. This really is a transitional time for me as I take over as Iampeth president. I spend a lot of time working toward next year's conference but I am approaching the job with determination to leave white space in my life for personal work, study and those online lessons which are still in progress! The white space lesson is a great stress reliever. The quote I used in this piece reflects the time I have spent in nature this summer. The season flies by so quickly in Canada. I try to observe the changes in the garden every day.

4 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Love these thoughts and this piece! You are a great inspiration, Heather, and IAMPETH is in excellent hands.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Jody!!!

nutcake said...

Beautiful work, Heather. Lovely to see how it is progressing.

Hazel

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Hazel!