Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Passionate Pen

Now and then, I can see my work evolve. It is usually a subtle change that starts to dominate my thinking. In this recent evolution, my desire to discover fluid movement in English Roundhand was combined with my desire for the Offhand Flourishing techniques to become slightly more illustrative. My inspiration for English Roundhand has always been the work of George Bickham as well as Thomkins and Milnes. But the past two years, my inspiration has been a single piece of lettering that is from the pen of Ramon Stirling. In reading and studying Roundhand, my challenge has always been to find a fluid movement with it that would work as handwriting. The result of two years of study is culminating in a new workshop to be released in 2014 called The Passionate Pen. I believe that Roundhand is expressive and can be freed up from the more rigid approach of Engrosser's Script.Capital letters can be vibrant and playful while retaining grace and gentleness. I will always love the whisper quality of Spencerian Script and that quality has crept into my Roundhand while retaining its European roots. All my favourites are used on this piece with the exception of Old World Iron Gall ink replacing my McCaffery Brown.Watercolour, Diane Townsend and Finetec Gold were used on John Neal's new diploma parchment.

2 comments:

Jane Farr said...

Lovely work, Heather. I admire your dedication to intensive, directed study. This piece is a wonderful result of that study.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane!!!