Friday, May 24, 2013

Process Pictures

Every now and then I am asked to talk about my process of work. Since 2010, I have been carrying a journal and mechanical pencil with me wherever I go. I have several of them on the go. These 5 were within closest reach in the studio. They have transformed my process when it comes to designing work. My flourishing work still remains spontaneous and without pre-planning. But larger work, engrossings, Enchanted Letters and Enchanted Meadow pieces get their start in my journals. My Leuctturm Journal with the grid lines is filled to page 207 of a 250 page Journal. I find myself trying not to fill it up! It has been my travel companion for these past 3 years, records the questions that students have at my workshops, hold the roughs of every Enchanted Letter I have designed, has my recipe for making ivory ink, contains handwritng exercises for my penmanship classes, border designs and the list goes on and on. Now I don't know how I could ever travel without it as it has become some a wonderful reference tool for me! I guess I will be brave and fill it up and hope the next gridded journal proves as valuable to me. Even the process of keeping a journal is evolving in my art studio. The pencil sketch now serves me best as a rough draft of my finished piece. In the past, I would have used my sketch to take a tracing or a scan for my final piece. I find though, that the tracing process has a deadening effect on the final piece. I am finding it better to capture ideas in my journal and plan a design, but my recent Enchanted Letter designs are drawn freely on my final art paper. I certainly didn't stray far from my original sketch idea.

4 comments:

acornmoon said...

It is so interesting to see your work process.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Valerie!

mary ann younk said...

magnificent work! do you have a book to teach others to create beautiful letters like yours?

Heather Victoria Held said...

thank you Mary Ann. I do not have a book to teach the process of these letters. I am working on it!
Heather