Monday, February 11, 2013

Labours of Love: Snow Day Project

This year, I am trying to branch out and expand my skills. I love working on illuminated letters and illuminated borders but have not done a lot of work combining the illuminated elements with lettering. I am much more comfortable with the pointed pen than the broad edge pen, but I am using some German Text exemplars from the Business Educator Publications as well as exemplars from W.E. Dennis' Studies in Pen Art. My Leuchtturm Journal is never far out of reach and I have been working on sketches of acanthus leaves to incorporate in my border designs. My two sources of inspiration for Acanthus designs are The Guide to Drawing the Acanthus Leaf by James Page and the work of Illustrator Alberto Sangorski.
This piece was done on a 9"x12" sheet of diploma parchement with Watercolour, Gouache and 23 K gold leaf. After the edge pen lettering was done, my border design was transferred to the diploma parchemnt. I used Rolco gold size for the flat gilding.
I did a base coat of the entire border design in very pale applications of the greens, blues, reds and purples.
Once the base coat was dry, I built up the colours in several layers of watercolour. The filigree work was the last step to be completed and is done with a 000 sable brush and Burnt Umber Winsor Newton Watercolour. It was my first attempt at this style of design but it has capitivated my interest.
I have another one in the planning stages now. While the snow was piling up outside and there were no distractions to keep me from my studio, I enjoyed my day of solitude with watercolour and gold leaf.

8 comments:

acornmoon said...

Wow, such artistry! You have created a work of art worthy of any museum.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Valerie!!!
Xo,
Heather

Joseph Chapman said...

Beautiful, and very Sangorski looking.

Does the Rolco size work in a ruling pen? I've had good luck outlining things like the outer edges of the border around the T with Instacoll diluted 50/50 first--makes a nice clean edge without a lot of fuss.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Joseph. The piece is very Sangorski inspired, although I think I made my colours more girly than he usually does!
The Rolco works in the ruling pen very well. I haven't tried thinned instacoll in the ruling pen but it seems like a great idea.
Just finished my 32 Oz. bottle of Rolco. It lasted for over 3 years on the shelf and flowed as well as the first day I opened it!
Heather

Monika Kaiser said...

Beautiful,you have a great talent :)
,

Joyce across the Pond said...

Wonderful piece of art...wish I had the patience to do that...some day!

Heather Victoria Held said...

thank you Joyce!

Heather

Dana said...

Beautiful, Heather! Love see the process and the snow!
Obviously I have not been blogging lately, so I'm sorry I missed this post!
xo~