Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Spencerian Heritage

I have been practicing Spencerian Script for 9 years now and can finally see progress!
Of all the script hands that I have attempted, Spencerian is the most tricky with it's call for a delicate touch, whisper hairlines and contoured shades. It never gets dull or boring as I try new line endings and flourishes to incorporate into the script. I don't think I can ever exhaust this hand. On August 24th, I traveled to Geneva, Ohio for the dedication of the Platt Rogers Spencer monument.
The monument is the first in the United States that is dedicated to the legacy of American Penmanship.
I was honoured to be asked to do the flourishes on the Patron Donors plaque by my friend and designer of the Monument, Michael Sull.
What a joy to be included in the Heritage of Spencerian Script.
I am so thankful for the elegant, ornamental script created by Platt Rogers Spencer and still love it's beauty and delicacy as I strive to master the letterforms.

6 comments:

Dana said...

Heather, you are too modest! I had no idea you did the flourishing on the monument, even after us talking about it for months!

Your Spencerian is so gorgeous and unique and your love for it shines through.

Congratulations!

xo~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!!! It was such a treat to see the flourishes in bronze!!
xo,
Heather

Jennifer Lavin said...

I am so happy to see the pictures and know you must have been thrilled to be there!
I too love your Spencerian!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jennifer!! It was a very special time!

Jane Farr said...

No doubt Platt Rogers Spencer would be delighted with your Spencerian and also the flourishes you did for the monument. Spectacular, Heather! Thanks for sharing.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane!! I hope he is proud!