Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Watcher in the Woods

Part Three of my Enchanted Meadow Series.
I don't know how many pieces will be included in the series but I have so many ideas bubbling in my head. These are such a joy to create. They are the result of indulgent time when I put aside other more pressing duties and take time to create for the pure joy of pursing a project from start to completion. They are usually designed and painted in one session. I draw the image and design the foliate work. I usually scan that design and then reduce it slightly. Gilding and painting this piece took about 3 hours after it was penciled on to the vellum. This piece is 4" x 1 1/2" on calfskin vellum. Flat gilded with 23 K gold leaf. I used layers of watercolour to build up the depth of colours. I aded some highlights with bleedproof white. I used a 5/0 Escoda sable brush for the fine details.

2 comments:

Jane Farr said...

I didn't think your work could get any more beautiful! I love the title of this piece.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane!