Monday, August 13, 2012

Milwaukee Memories

What a treat to attend another Iamepth conference. It was an absolute pleasure to be asked to design the logo this year. It was a design challenge, but using the theme of hops and barley, researching beer ephemera from the Milwaukee area and studying vintage beer ads, I finally came up with a design I was happy with. To see the design printed on bags, aprons and paper products was a tremendous treat for me!
Milwaukee was filled with magical moments for me. There were ornamental touches throughout the hotel and in the buildings I visited. An early morning trip to the Public Library was very inspiring. When I entered the main room of the library I noticed this beautiful ornamentation on the door. Looks like it belongs in the Ministry of Magic.(apologies to Muggles)
Teaching this year was an absolute delight. There were many first time attendees there as well as artists of different disciplines. I ended my presentation with this quote by Michelangelo that I put into the silent auction. The piece is done on diploma parchment and is 6"x 4". It was gilded with 23 K gold. A radical departure from my usual pink default setting! It was coloured using my Victorian line and wash technique with Staedtler Aquarelle pencils. I had to take a trip to the Pastel Studio to get some earth tone pastels to accent the colour choices. One new surprise element in this design is Ziller Ink Buffalo Brown instead of McCaffery Brown. I wanted to give the Buffalo Brown a try and see what the results were like. The lines are less delicate. Hairlines slightly bigger than with the McCaffery but the result is slightly brighter. McCaffery Brown is still my favourite, but nice to know that the Ziller Brown will work too and give a slightly different effect. Happy creating this week!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Heather,
I was one of the newbies in Milwaukee and want to tell you how lovely it was to be in your class and learn all the methods you use. You were also very kind to me when I asked questions during a break. Thank you so much,
Agnes

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the kind words Agnes. Wonderful to meet you in Milwaukee!!!! Please keep in touch!

Dana said...

So happy for you! You did a fantastic job with the logo - so clever.

Also, this is one of my favorite lettering pieces you have done. Love, love the colors and design.

xo~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. Loved doing that piece in those warm colours!
xo,
HH

acornmoon said...

The logo design is very elegant, it must have been a challenge but you did a great job.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Valerie! It was challenging but I loved doing the work. Thanks for the kind words.
Heather

Jane Farr said...

You created a perfect logo for the convention, Heather! Your auction piece was beautiful as well. It was a pleasure to see you in Milwaukee!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane!!! Great to see you in Milwaukee!!!