Saturday, July 21, 2012

My Leuchtturm Journals

Since starting my Enchanted Letter series in 2011, my Leuchtturm journals have been my constant companions. I think I bought every possible size of the journals that contain the beautiful gridded pages. They have captured thougths, ideas, quotes and numerous sketches of Enchanted letters. At least two of them accompany me on every journey I take to teach classes.
These images were taken from a few pages of my journal. As I wait in airports these days, I use the time to go over letter ideas that will be presented in class. The same meditative and peaceful state of mind that evolves from time spent flourishing is happening with pencil time as well. I am so grateful to have these tools with me.
New favourite pencil related toys in my tool box are the Caran D'ache Grafwood pencils, The Tombow Mono Zero Elastomer Eraser and Koh-I-Noor Hardtmuth pencils. The Grafwood pencils are extremely smooth and creamy while the Koh-I-Noor Pencils are smaller and feel nicer to hold. The little Tombow Eraser is a vinyl retractable eraser. Great for getting into tight places.

8 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Oooh, love the tiny eraser! And of course the lovely letterforms. Thanks for sharing all this info.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody!!! The little eraser is wonderful!

Dana said...

LOVE these! It is so fun to see sketches. At times I prefer my sketches to the final piece.

I have never seen these journals in the US. What size do you use?

Thanks for sharing your process, Heather! Always lovely.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. I like to use the medium size journal which is about 6"x9". There is also a large size which is about 11x14 called the Master as well as a Reporter style and Mini which is about the size of credit card. I often prefer my sketch to the final piece as well!

Joseph Chapman said...

I second the comments about the Grafwood pencils; they're fine tools. 4H, HB, 4B, 6B make a nice travelling sketch set.

Elissa Barr just showed Masscribes a tool she found at the Reed College bookstore during the calligraphy conference--a flat-lead mechanical pencil. The bookstore promptly sold out. John Neal is now carrying them (#S861) for the princely sum of US$ 1.95 and a buck and a quarter for refills.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the comments Joseph! I am going to head over to John Neal to order the flat lead mechanical pencil!!!

Jane Farr said...

That's quite a big name for a little eraser! :) Thank you for all the detailed information. I love how you've pierced the R with the exit flourish. Lovely!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane! That cute little eraser is so handy!