Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dana's Butterfly

Part Two of Enchanted Meadow Series and such a joy to paint for my dear friend Dana's birthday. I did not take the final measurements before sending it on its way but it fits inside a 4"x6" frame including the mat. I am getting spoiled painting on vellum. It is a receptive and intuitive surface to work on and captures the transparency of the watercolour. This was painted with a moist brush technique and a pastel burnish background was added with the Diane Townsend pastels. Happy Birthday Dear Dana!

6 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Lucky Dana! This is a treasure!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Jody. More creatures will emerge from the Meadow soon!

Dana said...

What a treasure, indeed! I adore my beautiful birthday butterfly. You are the most thoughtful person I know. The detail is exquisite and the photo does not do the piece justice. It is simply gorgeous!

Nervously, I took it out of the frame so that you would have record of the size. The vellum size is 3 x 5.5 and the painting itself, 1.5 x 3.75. So much detail in such a tiny miniature. I love it!

Thanks so much, Heather!! I will treasure it forever.

xoxo~

Heather Victoria Held said...

So glad you like it Dana. Thanks for sending me the measurements! I should have recorded that somewhere. Happy Birthday Dana!!!

Jane Farr said...

So beautiful, Heather!! It seems a perfect fit for such a lovely soul as Dana!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane. Something precious for dear Dana!