Saturday, June 30, 2012

Vellum Scraps

I purchased some vellum scraps from Paper Ink Arts and I was really happy with the quality. I have a large calfskin parchment that I have not been brave enough to cut into and some 9x12 sheets that I am saving for larger work, but for these playful miniatures, the vellum scraps are perfect. I received an assortment of sizes for my 2.0 oz purchase. The pieces did not require much more than a light sanding and then a sanding with pumice powder. This little owl was a combination of my admiration of the medieval illuminators and their uncanny ability to tuck anything they could think of into a border design and my passion for Victorian scroll work. The finished size is 1.5 inches by 5 inches. All detail work was done with a 2/0 Escoda sable brush. The piece is flat gilded with 23K gold.

9 comments:

acornmoon said...

I love your little owl piece.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Valerie. Owls are a favourite of mine!

Joseph Chapman said...

Very sweet. Did you use gouache, and what did you use for the flat gilding?

Dana said...

Love your owl!

xo~~

Jane Farr said...

This is gorgeous, Heather! The detail throughout, but particularly on the owl, is amazing. (Especially given the size of the piece and that you used a brush!)

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Joseph!! I used the Rolco aquasize for the flat gilding. The piece is done in watercolour except for the few white highlights which are bleedproof white.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the kind words Jane! I love working on these tiny pieces!