Wednesday, June 6, 2012

New Favourites

Over the years, I have noticed that my supply lists for workshops are constantly evolving. In fact, even though I re-do my handouts to update my supplies and techniques for each workshop, I now add a disclaimer to my notes stating that I constantly re-evaluate supplies and may be demonstrating with new products. During this morning's commission I noticed how much I prefer the Escoda Brush to any other in my brush box. I painted the entire piece with the size 4/0 Kolinsky sable brush. It felt very comfortable in my hand and the brush hairs have excellent springiness and water hold out.It maintains its point and there are no stray hairs in any of my Escoda Brushes. I was very impressed and find that I reach for the Escoda more than any other of my Sable brushes. The piece was done with an Esterbrook 818 Extra Fine which is another new favourite for me. It is very flexible yet not overly sharp so it doesn't catch the fibres in the paper no matter how much pressure I put on it. Another big change for me is from the oblique to the straight pen holder. Although I still use the oblique pen holder with my Spencerian work, all of my pen drawn floral flourishes, European style thrown flourishing and even Golden Age Style Offhand Flourishing are now done with my Snakewood Straight holder. The holder is very precious to me as my husband made it for me. I still get to spend time turning my own pen holders on the lathe, but the majority of the work is done by Chris. This commission was done for a birthday card. The terminal lobes of the ribbon script letters are gilded with 23 K gold leaf. Staedtler Aquarelle Watercolour pencil was used to colour the design and my favourite Diane Townsend Pastels, Finetec Gold, Sakura Gelly Roll pen and Hot Foil were used to add accents. It was done on another new favourite, the new diploma parchment from John Neal.

5 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Always great to get tips on equipment from the master, Heather! And what a beautiful nib holder your husband created. Just used the new diploma parchment for the first time and it is as flattering as candlelight!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody! I really love the new diploma parchment too. The pen holder is very special to me!

Dana said...

Love seeing your 'tools'. ...and how special the penholder must be for you.

Thanks for sharing.

xx~~

Jane Farr said...

Wonderful post, Heather! Stellar work on the birthday commission, and the pen holder Chris made you is a beauty. It is very interesting to know you are mainly working with a straight pen holder! Thanks for sharing.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the kind words Jane. The straight holder is used more than any else right now except for Spencerian work.