Monday, June 11, 2012

Finding Flow

It has become a bit of a running joke with me but I find that when I work on flourished pieces, I have no real thought process going on in my mind! I seem oblivious to the world around me and instantly transported into a peaceful state of mind.It is hard to describe and even harder to capture on film as we are still working hard on the dvd. I was explaining this in my Philadelphia class. At one point in the class, we seemed to have achieved total silence as everyone had their heads fully engaged in their work. There was no chattering in the room at all. It was quite lovely to experience. There happened to be a psycho-therapist in the room at the time who was taking the class. We spoke about the experience afterwards and she told me that is a state called Flow. She recommended a book by Mihaly Czikszentmihalyi called Flow which is my summer reading project.I hope to learn more about it and will keep you posted.As I worked on this graduation commission, once again I could transport myself to that peaceful state of mind. I am so grateful for the experience. This piece is done on the new diploma parchment with 23 K flat gilding, Staedtler Aquarelle watercolour pencils, Diane Townsend Pastels and Finetec Gold. I enjoyed adding an Enchanted Letter to the Emerson quote.

4 comments:

Joseph Chapman said...

I second the book recommendation, though I hardly think reading it will take all summer, unless you include learning to pronounce the author's name in the project.

Looking forward to the DVD!

Heather Victoria Held said...

It just might take me all summer Joseph. I have read through the first chapter at least 3 times!!!! Seems like it will be a good one though. I will keep you posted on the dvd progress!

Dana said...

Lovely as always.

Can't wait to get this book.

xx~

Heather Victoria Held said...

It's a very interesting book Dana. Just got past Chapter 3!

xo,
HH