Friday, May 4, 2012

Victorian Gilded Flourish

Years ago, Master Penman Brian Walker started encouraging me to add gilded touches to my offhand flourishes.I love being able to add the little hints of shimmering gold into my flourishing work. This 5x7 piece is done on John Neal's new diploma parchment with McCaffery brown ink. I have added shell gold highlights to the little cherub's hair and wings. My studies into the work of Kate Greenaway and Victorian ornamental scroll designs were underlying influences in this piece. I used watercolour as well as Derwent Metallic watercolour pencils to colour the design. The Derwent Metallic Watercolour pencils are very close to the palette that Kate Greenaway used in her work.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Beautiful, as always.

xo~~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!