Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bumblefly

I had some time to finish an illumination that I started in April. The design is loosely based on a 14th Century French manuscript but the Little Butterfly kept developing into something more whimsical. Somehow he ended up with a bumblebee- type body and butterfly wings. I have seen so many other blended animals and bugs in medieval manuscripts that I thought this little Bumblefly would fit right in. The finished size is 4"x3" on 140 lb. Arches Hot Press paper. When I pulled the painting from its folder on my desk to finish it, I noticed that I had not gilded one of the little orbs. Interesting to note that the Rolco gold size was able to adhere the gold leaf even though it had initially been applied weeks ago.

7 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Delightful!

Dana said...

Oh, how fun! I love your sweet little bumblefly! :)

xx~~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have read your stories but this is my very first time to comment, i adore your work

Heather Victoria Held said...

Many thanks!

Heather

Jane Farr said...

Your Bumblefly piece is delightful, Heather! (Just this morning I read Laurie Yeandel's article in the Philly guild's newsletter about your workshop there in April. How I wish I could have been at that Enchanted Letter workshop; it looked and sounded wonderful!)

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the kind words Jane! The Philly workshop was so much fun! They are an amazing group!