Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Philadelphia Visit

It was my pleasure to bring the Enchanted Letter Workshop to a wonderful group of calligraphers in Philadelphia. I designed the Enchanted Letter class for the Birmingham Pointed Pen Extended Study Group and this was the first time I taught the class to a group of calligraphers who did not take previous classes in flourishing with me. Their work was outstanding and I was so happy to be able to visit Philadelphia. I had been corresponding with my fellow pointed pen enthusiast Nick D'Aquanno for over 9 years but had never had the opportunity to visit him! While in Philadelphia, we got the chance to meet and I visited his beautiful pen room. I was thrilled to view his collection of scrapbooks, signature writing and incredible F. B. Courtney Flourishes! I wanted to send him a thank you for the visit and worked on this flourish this morning. Once again, John Neal's new diploma parchement provided the surface. I used McCaffery brown ink, pastel, graphitint pencils and gilded the flourish with 23 K gold leaf.

3 comments:

Dana said...

I know Nick must be thrilled with this piece! I am so glad you got to meet. You are kindred spirits.

Beautiful work!

xo~~

Jane Farr said...

Nick's piece is perfect and beautiful, Heather! Nick contributes greatly to promoting beautiful penwork, and I'm glad you were able to meet with him. I bet his collection is amaaaaazing to see in person. Congratulations on a successful workshop!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane! It was wonderful to finally be able to meet Nick. He has done so much for the promotion of ornamental penmanship.