Wednesday, March 28, 2012

From Pen Sketch to Painting

Working today on expanding The Enchanted Letter Workshop. I am adding more content to Fairy Tale Foliates! Today's work was interesting. I worked on Somerset Satin Print Making paper as well as Arches Hot Press Paper. Rather than the usual suspects, I used Old World Iron Gall ink for the sketch work. Usually I wait a few hours before painting the foliates if I am using any ink other than McCaffery Brown. But I was impatient and painted as soon as the ink was dry. There was a lot of bleeding with the Old World Ink on both the Somerset Paper and the Arches. It does dry to a waterproof state but patience is the key. I wasn't unhappy with the work. I kept the wash very light and it almost had a Victorian Chromolithograph feel to it. These foliates are unplanned and sketched out very lightly with pencil before inking them in. The result is more flowing than a pre-planned design.

6 comments:

Dana said...

These are lovely, Heather. I think the 'bleeding' worked for you! A happy accident! I love this shade of green. Was it a result of the ink? So fresh ~ like spring.

xx~~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. The ink bleeding did influence the green colour which started out as a mix of Sap green and Lemon Yellow!

Jane Farr said...

I love the light wash. I think the colors are gorgeous! This piece feels soft and soothing, and if possible, even more delicate than the pieces you finish with the pastels. The leaves are beautiful!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane! These are such a delight to do!

Petroglyph said...

The sketch is very ephemeral...and I strongly agree on how beautiful the leaves are...
though I think they are wet and lush enough to choke an unwary lawnmower!
The old school iron gall is perhaps what gives the leaves that striking robust vitality...substantive, like Dandelion leaves!

Thanks so much for visiting on your way through the Twin Cities...very nice meeting you...LOVE the Lord Byron quote...very apropos.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the kind words. I loved the Twin cities!!!

Heather