Monday, March 5, 2012

Breaking out of the Box

I have been working on this studio piece for a few weeks. I wanted to combine offhand flourishing, Enchanted Letters, Gilding, Persian illumination and even Sickles lettering to my engrossed piece. It is the largest piece I have done so far. It is 16"x20" on Arches Hot Press paper. Flat gilded with 23 K gold. I did a rough design and then transferred my rough to the Arches paper. I initially did the ink work with McCaffery brown but found that it just looked too washed out. So I re did the piece with Old World Iron Gall ink. I had to give it more drying time than I usually do with the McCaffery brown but I found that I liked the Victorian line and wash technique with the Old World ink. It looks a bit sharper. I learned a lot on this piece! Now I am shopping for a frame!

16 comments:

Jody Meese said...

This just looks like Spring! I especially love the "V" that has grown wa-a-a-a-y up to tangle with the "T"!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody!!! That was totally unplanned! The rough has a less wild version of the V!

Renee Troy said...

Absolutely gorgeous Victoria! Always inspiring...

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Renee!

Jennifer Lavin said...

wow, that is beaUtiful!!!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you dear Jennifer!!

Kim from Hiraeth said...

How beautiful! Heather, you are an inspiration to us all! Thank you for sharing your exemplary work with us!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Kim!

acornmoon said...

You have excelled yourself with this one, stunning!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Valerie!

Jane Farr said...

A signature piece for you Heather! Congratulations! You rock it, no matter the size - wow!! Gorgeous.

Chelsea Art Designs said...

stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Chelsea Art Designs!

Dana said...

Stunning, Heather! It turned out beautifully.

xo~~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!