Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine Flourish

I had an enjoyable afternoon with this little Victorian Flourish. I used a piece of John Neal's new diploma parchment. Still loving that paper! McCaffery brown was used on the flourishing and I limited my palette to two shades of pink and an olive green. I used Staedtler Aquarelle Watercolour Pencils to paint the design. Background is burnished with Diane Townsend Pastels and accent strokes are with Finetec gold, sakura gelly roll pen and hot foil. All of the usual suspects were used in this design with the exception of the Aquarelle pencils. They are rapidly disappearing in Canada at my art supply stores. I have a few precious colours. They are quite vibrant and transparent. A little less "cloudy" than the Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils. They are very thin and can be sharpened to a very fine point for getting into tiny places. Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day!

9 comments:

Kim from Hiraeth said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Heather! That's lovely! You never cease to amaze and inspire!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the kind words Kim!

Joseph Chapman said...

Very sweet. I also enjoyed receiving the latest issue of the Penman's Journal and seeing a familiar hand on the cover.

A shame Aquarelle pencils may be succumbing to Herblock's Law: if it's good, they'll stop making it.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the kind words Joseph!!! I ended up doing a hard core search for my beloved Aquarelle pencils in Canada and found a shop who still has some open stock @ $2.19 per pencil. I am going to get them while I can!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your work. Do you have any books? do you have any refference books you use?

Jody Meese said...

Quintessentially Valentine-ish! And lovely!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody!!! Hope you had a wonderful day!

Heather

Jane Farr said...

This is a beautiful design Heather! A lovely Victorian Valentine. I also loved your work on the cover of the most recent Penman's Journal and your logo for the IAMPETH convention is Milwaukee is perfect!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane for the kind words!