Monday, January 16, 2012

The Whole Arm Movement Flourish



I sat down this morning with pen and paper and worked on two European style offhand flourishes. The flourishing here is done with strokes that are thrown away from the body, much like the 18th Century practice of "striking". There is no finger movement used in these flourishes. The shoulder does the work with the pen held lightly in the fingers. I use a straight holder rather than an oblique for these strokes. Lots of fun to play with. I broke away from my favourite coloured pencils and tried the Prismacolor coloured pencils on the Fantasia piece. They are very waxy to use and prohibit ink lines being added on top but the colours are vibrant.

11 comments:

Jody Meese said...

The flourishes are as vibrant as the colors! These are just beautiful, Heather.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody!!!

Ann said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Ann!

Jane Farr said...

Exquisite! I would love to see you do this in person. I remember Bob Hurford telling us in his class at IAMPETH that this technique was typically used for flourishing. Heather, you were born 100 years too late!!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane!!! I always think that I was born in the wrong era! My mind is so intrigued with the Victorian age!

Dana said...

I think Jane is right - you were born in the wrong era! You have such a gift.
xo~~

Dana said...

I think Jane is right - you were born in the wrong era! You have such a gift.
xo~~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana! I think I would feel right at home in the Victorian era!
xo!

acornmoon said...

I love that Old Black Magic that you write so well.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Many thanks Valerie!!!