Friday, July 29, 2011

Overly Ornate Orbed O


This design started out as a sketch in my journal. I kept distractedly doodling on it and wondered what it would look like if I added more pen work filigree than usual on the gold orbs. When it came time for the gilding, I used a little jar that I keep for my tiny fragments of gold leaf. Somehow, there was a scrap of copper leaf in the jar, and one orb was gilded with the copper leaf. Nothing left to do except add more copper leaf to the piece. I also decided to add some lemon gold to the mix. So this 6" x 1/2"piece on Arches HP was gilded with 22K American Shade gold, Copper leaf and Lemon gold. Still being influenced by the intense colours of Islamic manuscripts, this peice is painted with Mineral Violet, Sap Green, Leaf Green and Opera Rose. Highlights are added with Permanent White.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Nearly lost N


Just returned from the Iampeth conference and searched frantically for my letter N. It was the only one not properly adhered in my journal and I thought that I might have lost it along the way. But after rifling through all the luggage, loose papers, class samples and notes, I finally found it. This little N is 4"x2" and is done on Arches HP paper. I used Holbein Horizon blue on the letter and ribbon and Carmine and Alizarin crimson for the roses. The leaves are sap and leaf green. Background technique is pastel burnished with my favourite Diane Townsend Terrages pastels. They were great to pack along to Iampeth for very quick embellishments during demonstrations. Glad to be home. Hope to post the pics of my Iampeth studies very soon.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Meandering M....marks Mid-way!!!


I can't believe this is half way through the alphabet and the first of July! Happy Canada Day! This year is going by so quickly but I am really enjoying the process of these letters. Looking forward to teaching them as a workshop towards the end of the year!
This one is larger than most of the others. 5 1/2 x 2 1/2 on Arches HP paper. I did both flat and raised gilding on this piece. The plum colour for the ribbon script letter was mixed with Rose Dore and Winsor Blue. The little flowers were painted with Sleeping Beauty Turquoise and Winsor Blue. I finally found a delicate pink Diane Townsend Terrages pastel and used it for the shadow effect of the ribbon.