Friday, December 16, 2011

Y not Pink?


Down to the home stretch with the illuminated letter project. I can hardly believe another year is nearly gone. While I spent the year exlporing techniques and learning more and more about the illuminated letter, one thing stayed consistent. My use of pink! I don't think I could ever give up pink in my palette or that Sakura clear stardust gelly roll pen. This letter is 3 1/2'' x 1 1/2" on Arches HP watercolour paper. I used alizarin crimson and carmine with a touch of bleedproof white to achieve the colour variations in the pinks. A very pale of wash of Hooker's green was used for the leaves. 23K gold leaf is flat and raised gilded. Raised gilding in the center was achieved with homemade gesso. Background burnish in Diane Townsend pastels. Finetec gold and Sakura clear stardust gel pen are added as accents along with silver hot foil.

7 comments:

Dana said...

Oh, how we have learned so much during this Yearlong project. It is so hard to believe it is coming to an end ... and bit frightening for me as I am a month behind! ...but I hope to get to the finish line in time.
Your work has been brilliant throughout. I have loved seeing you grow and incorporate this into a teaching series.
We will have to think about another one ~ maybe in 2013! :)
I love how your are ending on a festive note. So Yummy and Christmas-y.

xoxo~~

Jody Meese said...

This is so You, Heather! Elegant, lively, and with astounding attention to detail.

acornmoon said...

It is so interesting to read about your materials, I love that very fine glittery pen. I might have to seek out a supplier!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. It has been such a fun project. I know we have both learned so much!! I certainly did not see a workshop coming out of this but these Enchanted letters are such fun to paint!! Looking forward to your botanical beauties!!
xo,
Heather

Heather Victoria Held said...

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for the kind words. The silver pen is one of my favourites. Here they are available in many arts and crafts stores. The full name is the Sakura Stardust Gelly Roll Pen. The colour is clear. It also comes in pink, gold, copper, turquoise, green and probably a few other colours, but the clear is my run away favourite.

Heather

Jane Farr said...

Yay for Pink! Lovely variations, Heather!! xo

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane!!!

Heather